Biggest Item to have Wavelike Properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madeline Ogden 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Biggest Item to have Wavelike Properties

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:58 pm

I understand that we can only detect wavelike properties in very small objects, such as electrons, due to the fact that their mass is so small. I also know that wavelength in de Broglie's equation also factors in the speed of an object, but for some large items, no matter how slow they're going (let's say, a car going at 1 mile per hour) still do not have noticeable wavelike properties. Does anyone know how big an object can get to which it has noticeable wavelike properties?

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Biggest Item to have Wavelike Properties

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:07 pm

It is hard to say exactly how large an object can be since DeBroglie's equation depends on both the mass and velocity. I would say anything that you can hold is too large. If you ever need to check, you can always just input the information into the equation and any object with a wavelength smaller than 10^-15 is an object that is too large to have noticeable wavelike properties.

Hope this helps!

Saumya Tawakley 1E

Re: Biggest Item to have Wavelike Properties

Postby Saumya Tawakley 1E » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:20 pm

In the lecture he mentioned that the object needs to be extremely small and moving with a high velocity, so I would imagine that the object shouldn't be much larger than an electron for us to detect wavelike properties.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”