Super Slow Large Mass using de Broglie

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madeline Ogden 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Super Slow Large Mass using de Broglie

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:12 pm

I know that an object with a large mass (say, a baseball) doesn't have detectable wavelike properties due to the fact that its mass is so large. My question is would wavelike properties be detectable in a baseball (or some other "large" object) if it was going incredibly slow? (Like really, REALLY slow to the point where its speed is almost zero.) Wouldn't this make the wavelength super small and therefore wouldn't its wavelike properties then be detectable? Or is this impossible for all large objects no matter how slow they're going?

Saumya Tawakley 1E

Re: Super Slow Large Mass using de Broglie

Postby Saumya Tawakley 1E » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 pm

I think just because of the extremely high mass of an object such as a baseball no matter how slow it's going it would be nearly impossible to detect wavelike properties. It would have to be going extremely slow, and I don't know if there would be a way for us to detect that low a speed without just calling it zero speed, which would make the De Broglie equation undefined anyways.

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Super Slow Large Mass using de Broglie

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:19 pm

The mass tends to have a larger impact on the wavelength. If you want to test it out, you can find the wavelength of a baseball traveling at 1 m/s (or any very slow velocity). The wavelength is still way too small to be detected. Since Planck's constant is such a small number, the mass needs to be very small in order to result in a larger wavelength. Overall, I would say that it is basically impossible to detect wavelike properties of any object large enough to hold in your hand.

Hope this helps!

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”