De Broglie wavelength vs. wavelength

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A

De Broglie wavelength vs. wavelength

Postby Eden Breslauer-Friedman 2A » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:18 am

Is there a difference between the De Broglie wavelength and the wavelength calculated c=(wavelength)(frequency), or is it just called that when you calculate it or use it in the De Broglie equation depending on the information you are given in the question?

Also, does the De Broglie wavelength always refer to the wavelength of the light, or can it refer to the wavelength of the electron/other subatomic particles?

Thank you!

Jessica Katz
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: De Broglie wavelength vs. wavelength

Postby Jessica Katz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:23 am

the De Broglie equation is actually wavelength=h/mv or wavelength=h/p(momentum). This is a different equation from the wavelength equation of c=hv. This equation is used when there is a velocity and/or mass value given in the problem and you solve for the wavelength. You use the De Broglie equation to then determine whether the certain substance that is being evaluated has wave like properties or not dependent on the wavelength you end up with.

Jessica Katz
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Jessica Katz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:24 am

To add on to my previous comment, this equation can apply to more things besides light. It is anything with a mass and velocity.

John Calonia 1D

Postby John Calonia 1D » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 am

DeBroglie wavelengths are applicable to matter and photons while c=frequency * wavelength is only applicable to electromagnetic radiation and light. De broglie wavelengths can be for electrons, atoms, and even larger things like baseballs, while it is impossible to find that type of wavelength for those objects under c=frequency * wavelength because those objects are not going the speed of light.

Madeline Ogden 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:05 pm

To add onto what others are saying, c=freq*wavelength can only be used for electromagnetic radiation/light because both of those things are traveling at the speed of light, or "c", whereas an object that you may wish to plug into the De Broglie equation, such as an electron, cannot travel at such a speed. (No object with mass can travel at the speed of light.)

Sam_Marasigan_3D

Postby Sam_Marasigan_3D » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:34 pm

I agree with everyone. I use the De Broglie wavelength equation when I am dealing with particles (mass of particle & velocity).

Katie Le 3K

Postby Katie Le 3K » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:19 pm

De broglie wavelength is used when you have a mass and velocity. Whereas the other wavlength equations deal w frequency.

jadensteplight_2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby jadensteplight_2F » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:30 pm

The previous commenters answered the technical differences of the two. I just base which equation I use on the information I have been given. If I have mass and velocity, you use the De Broglie equation but if you have frequency, you use the equation with speed of light.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”