energy of a photon

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brandon Gruender 3F

energy of a photon

Postby Brandon Gruender 3F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Question #25 asks

The E Coli bacterium is about 2.4 μm long. Suppose you want to study it using photons of that wavelength or electrons having that de Broglie wavelength.

What is the energy E photon of the photon?

How do I solve this?

Hayden Lee 1C

Re: energy of a photon

Postby Hayden Lee 1C » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi!

Since the energy of a photon is equal to its frequency multiplied by Planck's constant, we can rewrite the equation (c = wavelength * frequency) to solve for frequency in terms of wavelength. We can then replace frequency in the E = hv equation with the term from the rewritten (c = wavelength * frequency) equation and solve for the energy. I hope this helps!

Edwin Liang 1I

Postby Edwin Liang 1I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Hello,

You would use the equations E = HV and c= λv. Convert the 2.4 μm to meters and insert that into c= λv for λ. Isolate for v, then use that to solve the E = HV equation

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:35 pm

You would first start off by using the equation c= wavelength*frequency. you convert 2.4 μm to meters using unit analysis into meters and then solve for frequency. Once calculated, you would then plug your frequency value into E=HV, where h is represented by Plank's constant and V is the frequency and get your value for energy.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”