energy of a photon

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brandon Gruender 3F

energy of a photon

Postby Brandon Gruender 3F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Question #25 asks

The E Coli bacterium is about 2.4 μm long. Suppose you want to study it using photons of that wavelength or electrons having that de Broglie wavelength.

What is the energy E photon of the photon?

How do I solve this?

Hayden Lee 1C

Re: energy of a photon

Postby Hayden Lee 1C » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi!

Since the energy of a photon is equal to its frequency multiplied by Planck's constant, we can rewrite the equation (c = wavelength * frequency) to solve for frequency in terms of wavelength. We can then replace frequency in the E = hv equation with the term from the rewritten (c = wavelength * frequency) equation and solve for the energy. I hope this helps!

Edwin Liang 1I

Postby Edwin Liang 1I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Hello,

You would use the equations E = HV and c= λv. Convert the 2.4 μm to meters and insert that into c= λv for λ. Isolate for v, then use that to solve the E = HV equation

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:35 pm

You would first start off by using the equation c= wavelength*frequency. you convert 2.4 μm to meters using unit analysis into meters and then solve for frequency. Once calculated, you would then plug your frequency value into E=HV, where h is represented by Plank's constant and V is the frequency and get your value for energy.

Elizabeth Kim 2K

Postby Elizabeth Kim 2K » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi! First, you would use the equation c = (lambda)(v) to solve for frequency by converting the wavelength of 2.4 μm to meters and rearranging the equation to solve for v. Then, you use the equation E = hv to solve for the energy of the photon by multiplying Planck's constant (h) and the frequency (v) value you calculated in the previous step. Hope this helps!

Meia Schram 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Meia Schram 1J » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Hey,

So you would want to start off by converting the 2.4 micromolar to meters. Next I would change the c= lambda/v equation to isolate the v so v= lambda/c. From these we can solve for v. After solving for v you want to put your value into E=hv and there you go. Hope this helps!

Ashley Presnell 1C

Postby Ashley Presnell 1C » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:37 pm

Knowing the wavelength means using the equations we have, c=lambda(v) and E=hv we could calculate first v to plug into the second equation to then solve for energy, knowing the inverse relationship of wavelength and frequency as well as that Energy is equal to planck's constant times v.

Abby 2B

Postby Abby 2B » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:16 pm

hi, to find the energy of the photon, you use E = hc/lambda. if you go further in the problem, you used lambda = h/mv to find the velocity, and then use E = 1/2mv^2 to find the energy of the electron.

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”