Sapling HW (Speed of Diatomic Hydrogen Molecule)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kainalu Puu-Robinson

Sapling HW (Speed of Diatomic Hydrogen Molecule)

Postby Kainalu Puu-Robinson » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:26 pm

The average speed of a diatomic hydrogen molecule at 25 ∘C is 1920.7 m⋅s−1 . What is the average wavelength of a hydrogen molecule at this temperature? Assume that the molecule acts as a single particle.

I'm having trouble with this problem, could someone walk me through how they did it?

Edwin Liang 1I

Re: Sapling HW (Speed of Diatomic Hydrogen Molecule)

Postby Edwin Liang 1I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Hello!

I started off with De Broglie's Equation, plugging in the speed of H for v and Planck's constant. To find the mass, multiply the mass of hydrogen(1.008 g/mol) by two, as it is a diatomic. Multiply this by Avogadro's Number and divide by 1000 to get Kg.(Kg is better because Planck's Constant has units of Kg * m^2 s^-2) Plug it in and you will find the wavelength in meters. Multiply by 10^-9 if nanometers is needed.

Kainalu Puu-Robinson

Re: Sapling HW (Speed of Diatomic Hydrogen Molecule)

Postby Kainalu Puu-Robinson » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:34 pm

Edwin Liang 2I wrote:Hello!

I started off with De Broglie's Equation, plugging in the speed of H for v and Planck's constant. To find the mass, multiply the mass of hydrogen(1.008 g/mol) by two, as it is a diatomic. Multiply this by Avogadro's Number and divide by 1000 to get Kg.(Kg is better because Planck's Constant has units of Kg * m^2 s^-2) Plug it in and you will find the wavelength in meters. Multiply by 10^-9 if nanometers is needed.

Ahh I see, I guess the temperature in there wasn't needed to solve the problem. Thank you!

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”