sapling homework

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Natalie 3k

sapling homework

Postby Natalie 3k » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:46 pm

Can someone please explain how to start this problem?
The incident radiation had a wavelength of 1064 nm, and the ejected electrons were found to have an energy of 0.137 eV. The electron affinity is the difference in energy between the incident photons and the energy of the ejected electrons. Determine the electron affinity of thulium in units of electron volts per atom. I'm just not sure how to start it. Thank you!

vuongnaomi1L

Re: sapling homework

Postby vuongnaomi1L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:49 pm

So your objective is to find the difference between the incident photons and the energy of the ejected electrons, in eV/atom. So since they give you the wavelength, you would use that to find the energy per photon in joules, convert that to energy per photon in eV. You would subtract the 0.137 eV by the value that you derived from the first equation. Hope that helps :)

Ryan Hoang 1D

Postby Ryan Hoang 1D » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Hi! so first, you have to convert the wavelength to energy, using one of the plancks constant +light energy equations. Then, you convert that value to eV (which can be found in the chemistry equation sheet). Then, you subtract the value you found with the provided .137 to find the affinity!

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:12 am

Conceptually, this is like other questions we’ve done. The incident photon energy is the energy of the light that we would calculate in the photoelectric questions using E=hv and which you can find with wavelength. The energy of the electrons is the kinetic energy, but is given. So, what you’re calculating is work because work is the amount of energy needed to remove the electron. Only now they call it electron affinity. So, you just have to subtract the energy of the photon by kinetic energy given

Andre Fabian 1F
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Andre Fabian 1F » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Following what the above two people said, you should be able to work out the appropriate answer (using E = hc/lambda). However, I found something really weird with the problem where the first slot only accepted the really specific answer 1.03, and that when I rounded any number before that in my calculation it would mark me as incorrect.

Hope this resolves any confusion!
Andre

Return to “DeBroglie Equation”