Patrick's GENERAL FINAL REVIEW Step-Up Session (ANSWER KEY POSTED!) Topic is endorsed

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Patrick's GENERAL FINAL REVIEW Step-Up Session (ANSWER KEY POSTED!)  Topic is endorsed

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:39 pm

Hey everyone!

The CHEM 14B Final is here -- you all are nearly done!

For this week's step-up session, I'll be making a complete CHEM 14B review worksheet as many of you have requested. I am still working on it, but expect it to be posted Wednesday night by the latest. Do keep in mind that I will not be seeing the final ahead of time and it is impossible to fit all of CHEM 14B into one worksheet, so these questions are NOT representative of the final -- instead, this is more of a resource to review old topics and identify weak areas. If you wish to cover a certain syllabus topic in detail, other UAs will be running sections that go into detail on one or two topics (I highly recommend checking out "Chem 14B Uploaded Files" for extra practice!).

Since this worksheet will cover a huge amount of course material, I will be holding one two-hour step-up session from 10 am - 12 pm in YH 4232 on Thursday, March 14th (do note that I am not running two step-up sessions as usual). YH 4232 isn't the largest room, so please arrive a few minutes early to secure yourself a spot. We'll be starting promptly at 10 am.

Also please leave any questions/comments related to this worksheet or step-up session under this post so I don't miss it :)

Hope to see you there pookies :)

~ Patrick

Chem_Mod

Re: Patrick's GENERAL FINAL REVIEW Step-Up Session (QUESTIONS POSTED!))

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 am

The worksheet is done! Yes, it's 16 pages. No, it's not 16 pages of questions. Again, while the questions will cover concepts from all over CHEM 14B, you will need to do additional reviewing to make sure you understand all concepts.

I tried putting everything useful onto one document (including class resources, all the learning objectives *super useful*, and some questions). If you are not able to attend the full two hour session tomorrow, a very thorough answer key will be posted as soon as the session is over. Also, this resource should be pretty self-explanatory with all the instructions inside.

See you tomorrow!

~ Patrick
Attachments
CHEM 14B FINAL REVIEW STEP UP.pdf
good luck pookies
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 373 times

Chem_Mod

Re: Patrick's GENERAL FINAL REVIEW Step-Up Session (QUESTIONS POSTED!)

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:33 pm

As promised, here is the answer key!

Great job to everyone who came in person today, especially to those who stayed the whole time either standing or sitting on the floor. If you weren't able to make it, definitely check out the answer key and ask if you have any questions.

Good luck on the final and all of your future endeavors :)

ALSO THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE CAKE THAT WAS SO NICE

~ Patrick Ngo
Attachments
CHEM 14B FINAL REVIEW STEP UP.pdf
ANSWER KEY
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 322 times

Ilia1B

Re: Patrick's GENERAL FINAL REVIEW Step-Up Session (ANSWER KEY POSTED!)

Postby Ilia1B » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:36 pm

For the last question, how come the partial pressure of H2 is not taken into consideration for the expression for Q. In other problems I have seen PH2 being used in the Nerst equation as part of the expression for the reaction quotient.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:38 am

Ilia1B wrote:For the last question, how come the partial pressure of H2 is not taken into consideration for the expression for Q. In other problems I have seen PH2 being used in the Nerst equation as part of the expression for the reaction quotient.

This is a great question! The reason we don't account for the [H2] partial pressure is because no partial pressure is given -- if this happens, we assume that the partial pressure is 1 bar. Likewise, if we are not given the concentration of something we'd expect to see in the reaction quotient, we assume the concentration is 1M.

That's because the Nernst Equation gives the cell potential with respect to the standard cell potential, which means we're comparing everything with respect to 1 atm and 1M. If you plug in 1, you basically don't need to include it in Q.

~ patrick

Postby 305961049 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:59 pm

Probably a dumb question but for number 10, why is n=2... I think this could be my sleepy brain, but someone help!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 pm

305961049 wrote:Probably a dumb question but for number 10, why is n=2... I think this could be my sleepy brain, but someone help!

You’re good haha super valid question! n is based on the electrons transferred in our redox. We see that 2e- are transferred in the reduction and oxidation, so n = 2.

- Patrick

Return to “Chem 14B Uploaded Files (Worksheets, etc.)”