Can someone help me with this problem?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Patrick Essio 1H

Can someone help me with this problem?

Postby Patrick Essio 1H » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:42 pm

Hello!
I am doing one of the practice midterm worksheets and I came across this problem that I am struggling with. Can someone provide some insight?
Attachments
image_2023-02-01_164225923.png

Angela Hung 1H

Re: Can someone help me with this problem?

Postby Angela Hung 1H » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:55 pm

First you want to find the concentration of OH- in solution, which you get by raising 10 to the -2.94 power, which is the given pOH value. Then, use the equation Kw=Ka x Kb to find Kb. When setting up your ice table, you already know the equilibrium concentration of OH- which is what you got when you raised 10 to the -2.94 power. Since the concentration of OH- in solution before the reaction was 0, you know the change or 'x' will be that value. Instead, your x value which you are trying to find will be the initial concentration of NH3. That gives you x-(whatever value you got for 10^-2.94) as your equilibrium concentration value for NH3.

Hope that helps!

Erin Haisan 1B

Re: Can someone help me with this problem?

Postby Erin Haisan 1B » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:54 pm

Hello! First, we have to find the hydroxide concentration (OH) using the pOH value, which we would do by calculating 10^-2.94. This value will be used to calculate x, which is the concentration of NH3. Next, use an ice table, then replace the usual x's with the value of 10^-2.94 since we are solving for NH3, not the hydroxide concentration. Next, find the Kb value since we are solving for a base, not an acid (Ka), using Kw=Ka*Kb. Set your ice table equation equal to the Kb value, then solve for x. Hope this is helpful!

Return to “Chem 14B Uploaded Files (Worksheets, etc.)”