What is its significance

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Destiny Caldwell 3J

What is its significance

Postby Destiny Caldwell 3J » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:46 pm

What are the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and its significance in quantum mechanics?

Paparvinee 1I

Re: What is its significance

Postby Paparvinee 1I » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:07 pm

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that there is a limit to the accuracy with which the momentum and position of a particle can be known simultaneously. Since the momentum relates to mass and velocity(p=mv), for particles with very small masses like atoms, increasing position accuracy increases the uncertainty of the velocity.

Sophia Henry

Postby Sophia Henry » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:44 pm

I wanted to add on to the response you received about the significance of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. There is a rule in the quantum world that says that if we know the precise position of a particle at some point in time, we cannot know its exact velocity too. Instead, we can only know that particle's velocity to certain degree of certainty. The same applies vice versa: if we know a particle's exact velocity at some point in time, we cannot determine its position at that same point in time too... But there is a way that we can figure out the unknown variables here when given the other, and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is how we do that. Using the equation we can solve for the uncertainty in position or uncertainty in velocity if we have information about one or the other.

Postby 306001327 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:58 pm

Heisenberg’s principle essentially shows our current limitations to quantum mechanics, it order to communicate that there is a limit to how much information we can know about a particle. If we were able to determine a particle's position and speed, we would be able to answer a significant amount of unsolved questions in the quantum world.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”