Uncertainty equation problems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jolene Robles 2H

Uncertainty equation problems

Postby Jolene Robles 2H » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:51 am

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding the uncertainty equation and when do you use it? For example, when it says calculate the uncertainty of its velocity, I am confused on how to start the problem. The problem talks about how a particles has a mass that is confined in a sphere of a radius of a number in nano meters and I am confused on what equations we use and what conversions need to be done.

Sisam Bhattarai 2C

Re: Uncertainty equation problems

Postby Sisam Bhattarai 2C » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:27 pm

Hi, here are the different ways the uncertainty principle can be used. It can be used to determine the velocity uncertainty (Δv) of a particle contained in a sphere: Δx * Δp ≥ h / 2π. However m, you have to convert the sphere's radius (Δx) from nanometers to meters and find the momentum uncertainty (Δp). Lastly, use the formula Δp = m * Δv, where m is the mass, to find the velocity uncertainty. Hope that helps!

Ava_Osborn_3I

Re: Uncertainty equation problems

Postby Ava_Osborn_3I » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:37 pm

The equation that relates the uncertainties in position and momentum is delta x times delta p is greater than or equal to h/4pi or you can use p=mv if you're dealing w momentum. You pretty much just solve for whatever the question is asking for given the variables.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”