Changing signs  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

melissasandoval2O

Changing signs

Postby melissasandoval2O » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Hello my fellow chemistry peeps!
I understand that the Heisenberg equation uses the greater than or equal symbol, so when the question is asking for the "minimum" of something, is this when we would change the symbol from greater than or equal to, to simply "=" ?
And just to clarify, when it does give you a plus and minus figure, you simply multiply the number after the plus and minus by 2 right?
Thanks, ya'll rock!!!

Jamie_Lin_3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Changing signs  [ENDORSED]

Postby Jamie_Lin_3I » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:38 pm

Hello!
Yes, when you use the Heisenberg uncertainty equation, use the = sign to acquire the minimum value.
Anything greater than what's equal to the left side of the Heisenberg equation would then become values that are bigger than the minimum value (anything equal to)

The reason why the 2 is multiplied to the uncertainty in velocity/position (plus or minus) is to account for the range of velocity/position the object can take on within that spread.

Shelby Slaughter 3D

Re: Changing signs

Postby Shelby Slaughter 3D » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:41 pm

As to your first question, be sure to stick to the greater than or equal to symbol unless the minimum is asked for, otherwise it could result in lost points. But to your second question you are correct, for example if a problem listed plus or minus six the uncertainty would be tweleve.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”