Heisenberg Module #23?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Adriana Rangel 1A

Heisenberg Module #23?

Postby Adriana Rangel 1A » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:39 pm

You are caught in a radar trap and hope to show that the speed measured by the radar gun is in error due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. If you assume that the uncertainty in your position was +/- 5 m when your speed was measured, and that the car has a mass of 2150 kg, what is your calculated uncertainty in the speed of your car?
Do you think this calculation will help you?
Justify your answer.

Is your value for Delta X going to be 5? Because I used 5 the value for Delta X as 5 to solve for Delta P, to solve for uncertainty in the speed. I got the incorrect answer.

Mary Becerra 2D

Re: Heisenberg Module #23?

Postby Mary Becerra 2D » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:27 pm

In order to find the speed, you must use the values given to you and plug it into the Heisenberg equation. The only value you should be missing is speed since for the momentum part of the equation is equal to (mass)(velocity). The rest of the equation is either constants or given to you in the equation.

Hope this helps!

Adriana Rangel 1A

Postby Adriana Rangel 1A » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:43 pm

"In order to find the speed, you must use the values given to you and plug it into the Heisenberg equation. The only value you should be missing is speed since for the momentum part of the equation is equal to (mass)(velocity). The rest of the equation is either constants or given to you in the equation.

Hope this helps!"

Thank you, I appreciate your response, but you didn't answer my question. I understand that I use the values that were given to me to find speed. When I used Delta X =5m, I got an incorrect answer. I wanted to know if you use Delta X=5m or do you maybe use 10m since it says + or - 5?

Madeline Musselman 3H

Postby Madeline Musselman 3H » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 pm

For this question I received the answer 5.0 x 10^-39 after calculation, however, the online module marked it wrong. I don't believe it is a positive exponent, but the other negative is too small in comparison to what I calculated. Any help?

Karen Ung 2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Karen Ung 2H » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:55 pm

@Madeline Musselman 3H
Hi, the correct answer for this delta V is 2 x 10^-39 m/s, so yes, it does have a negative exponent, but there may be an error in the set up of your equation or calculation.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”