Baseball through sensors experiment  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joshua Yang 1H

Baseball through sensors experiment

Postby Joshua Yang 1H » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 pm

This is a little on a tangent, but related to the example Dr. Lavelle gave to us last lecture on throwing a baseball through sensors.

Dr. Lavelle explained that the way these sensors work is that there is a constant stream of photons and once something passes through, the stream is broken, which causes the sensors to react. An example that was given was those buzzers when you enter a small convenience store.

Just out of curiosity, is this the same way that most motion detector sensors work? More specifically I was thinking of the sensors in front of urinals, hand-dryers, and in front of sliding doors. (I guess I spend too much time in the bathroom)

QuincyH1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Baseball through sensors experiment

Postby QuincyH1G » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Real question, why are you spending so much time in the bathroom?

Noah Carey 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Noah Carey 1G » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:09 pm

I read online that hand dryers and urinals have infrared motion sensors. So we cannot see the light when our hands or bodies hit it because the detecting light is not in the visible region.

Eugene Chung 3F

Postby Eugene Chung 3F » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I've read online that motion detectors are small electronic eyes that detect infrared waves—heat waves that radiate from moving objects. When the detector senses an object moving across its field of view—especially warmer objects such as people, animals and cars—it electronically turns on the lights.
So they detect heat and since we're warmer, it turns on the lights in this example

Joshua Yang 1H

Postby Joshua Yang 1H » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:00 am

QuincyH1G wrote:Real question, why are you spending so much time in the bathroom?

I guess I think a lot when I do my business xD
Doesn't everybody have that moment when they have an epiphany on the toilet?

p.s. I wish I had a roof toilet
p.p.s. I have a lot of toilet ideas

Joshua Yang 1H

Re: Baseball through sensors experiment  [ENDORSED]

Postby Joshua Yang 1H » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:05 am

Eugene Chung 1G wrote:I've read online that motion detectors are small electronic eyes that detect infrared waves—heat waves that radiate from moving objects. When the detector senses an object moving across its field of view—especially warmer objects such as people, animals and cars—it electronically turns on the lights.
So they detect heat and since we're warmer, it turns on the lights in this example

Wow.... thank you for the in-depth answer :)

So we DO have big brother watching us through infrared cameras. Sorta. Not really though. But sorta.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”