What the equation is used for

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EllaBerry

What the equation is used for

Postby EllaBerry » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:16 pm

I am still slightly confused what the Heisenberg equation is used for. In class we used it to show that an atomic model was incorrect because the atom's diameter was too small. What other applications can this equation have?

Ashish Verma 2I

Re: What the equation is used for

Postby Ashish Verma 2I » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm confused as well and am not entirely sure but I think the equation is more conceptually used to prove that at this scale the means of measurement affects the outcome like Dr. Lavelle emphasized. I think it just proves that by measuring either momentum or distance of an electron in this type of an experiment you sacrifice the other and create an uncertainty on how accurate your value for the other variable is. More or less showing you the error in measurement/calculation of either momentum or position, then you can use that error/uncertainty to disprove certain proposed examples or prove that they are plausible.

Fayez Kanj
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Fayez Kanj » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello!

Basically, because particles like electrons are so small, there is a great uncertainty in determining their positions and/or momentums. The Heisenberg Uncertainty principle says that, if the location (x) of a particle is known, then the momentum of the particle (p) can be known simultaneously (at the same time) only to a certain extent/within a range of uncertainty, which is denoted as (Delta p)

Hope this helps!

ariana_apopei1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby ariana_apopei1K » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:29 pm

I think it's overall stating that we can't be sure of the speed or position of an object at the same time. If we stop an object to get its position, then we cannot know its speed and vice versa. This video really helped me understand the concept more in terms of wavelengths and what we're learning about now!

Jaedyn_Birchmier3F

Postby Jaedyn_Birchmier3F » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 pm

The Heisenberg Uncertainty equation is used to predict either the possible position or velocity of an electron in an atom. Velocity is a wavelike property of an electron and position is a particle like property of the electron because according to Einsteins principle an electron has both particle and wavelike properties. So this equation is used to determine one or the other as they cannot be found at the same time.

Tony Chung 2I

Postby Tony Chung 2I » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm

The Heisenberg uncertainty equation is used to find a particles position and momentum.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”