Indeterminacy vs. Uncertainty?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Annalyn Diaz 1J

Indeterminacy vs. Uncertainty?

Postby Annalyn Diaz 1J » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:41 pm

I understand that the two are the same, but I don't quite remember why Dr. Lavelle prefers "indeterminacy" over "uncertainty"... Can someone clarify that really quick for me?

Andrew Sun 3F

Re: Indeterminacy vs. Uncertainty?

Postby Andrew Sun 3F » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 pm

They're interchangeable terms, but i think Lavelle said something about uncertainty being used too often, and that indeterminacy is used because it is less used, if that makes any sense. However, im sure it doesnt make a difference what you use in terms of vocabulary or tests/quizzes.

Leela_Mohan3L

Postby Leela_Mohan3L » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 pm

I think he said something about how the word "uncertainty" makes it seem like we don't know anything about the particle's momentum or position, when in reality we can approximate it.

Briana Perez 3A

Postby Briana Perez 3A » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 pm

I think that the two words are interchangeable, however; Lavelle prefers not to use uncertainty because it is often synonymous with "unpredictability and unreliability". Where as indeterminacy can be taken as simply "not precisely determined or fixed" which makes more sense for that equation and what we are doing.

Searra Harding 4I

Postby Searra Harding 4I » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm

You can use both terms but indeterminacy is preferred. The word "uncertainty" implies that we have no idea so "indeterminacy" is used because we have a general idea but aren't exactly sure.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”