Heisenberg Uncertainty Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jackie Ngo 1C

Heisenberg Uncertainty Question

Postby Jackie Ngo 1C » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:58 pm

I am confused about the overall concept of the Heisienberg Uncertainty Equation, as in how it derived? My TA explained in in my section, and that honestly confused me even more. I tried googling it too, but it just doesn't clear anything up for me. How can you determine the general position/velocity of an electron based off of information that isn't even certain (By mashing two waves together?)? I think I'm just conceptually weak and I need someone to dumb it down for me. Thanks so much!!!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Re: Heisenberg Uncertainty Question

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:37 pm

In lecture, we discussed that the derivation of the Heisenberg Uncertainty equation is beyond the level expected of this course. Instead, you should know how to apply the equation.

If you're still curious about how to derive it, here is a link to a forum about it. Again, this is extremely advanced, and you are not expected to derive it.
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... -principle

Brian Hom 2F

Postby Brian Hom 2F » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm

You should not worry too much about the derivation of the Heisenberg Uncertainty equation. Just know that at an atomic scale, the measurement process influences outcome so there is a limit to the accuracy to which the momentum and position of a particle can be known simultaneously. Know Delta p x delta x >= h/4pi and
delta p=m x delta velocity.

Andre_Galenchik_2L

Postby Andre_Galenchik_2L » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:06 pm

All you have to know conceptually is that at the atomic level, one can never exactly determine the position and velocity of a particle because when they are that small, they exhibit both wavelike and particle like properties. It becomes uncertain whether to find their features through formulas we use for waves or for formulas we use for particles.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”