Post-Module Q#18

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Dharmawan 1G

Post-Module Q#18

Postby Jessica Dharmawan 1G » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:21 pm

The question states: The hydrogen atom has a radius of approximately 0.05 nm. Assume that we know the position of an electron to an accuracy of 1 % of the hydrogen radius, calculate the uncertainty in the speed of the electron using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
Comment on your value obtained.

I calculated first delta x which is 0.001. Then I used the equation: delta v >= h/(m delta x 4pi), but I still couldn't get the correct answer.

Rebecca Park

Re: Post-Module Q#18

Postby Rebecca Park » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:43 pm

The radius of the atom represents 1/2 of the uncertainty of the position of the electron, the diameter equaling the entire uncertainty. the size of the atom represents the uncertainty in position. You can use this uncertainty, as well as the mass of an electron and the constant h/4pi to calculate delta-v, or the uncertainty in the electron's speed.

Jessica Dharmawan 1G

Postby Jessica Dharmawan 1G » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:46 pm

Rebecca Park wrote:The radius of the atom represents 1/2 of the uncertainty of the position of the electron, the diameter equaling the entire uncertainty. the size of the atom represents the uncertainty in position. You can use this uncertainty, as well as the mass of an electron and the constant h/4pi to calculate delta-v, or the uncertainty in the electron's speed.

What do I do with the information stating "Assume that we know the position of an electron to an accuracy of 1 % of the hydrogen radius"?

Laura Gong 3H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Laura Gong 3H » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:35 pm

delta X (uncertainty in position) would be 1% times the radius of the atom multiplied by two (which would give you the diameter of the atom).

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”