Heisenberg Indeterminacy Equation Confusion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

DTingey_1C

Heisenberg Indeterminacy Equation Confusion

Postby DTingey_1C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 pm

I don't fully understand what the equation means conceptually. I understand that the equation represent the range of momentum and location of an electron, but what does this mean? Since the location is represented by "x," does this mean it is a distance? Or is more of an area of probability. Is the estimate of the velocity (coming from the momentum) relative to the nucleus of the atom? If the electron moves in a circular pattern, is it rotational momentum that's calculated? Thank you for helping and sorry if I'm being confusing.

Kevin Antony 2B

Re: Heisenberg Indeterminacy Equation Confusion

Postby Kevin Antony 2B » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:04 pm

From what I understand, we don't exactly know where an electron is at a given moment so the "x" is similar to probability in the sense that we think the electron should be somewhere in that vicinity. As far as momentum goes, we appear to be calculating linear momentum as it's just mass x velocity and not rotational momentum.
I hope this gives you a little bit more clarity!

Re: Heisenberg Indeterminacy Equation Confusion

Postby 305421980 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:24 pm

For the equation, delta x represents the probability of position, so like the equation itself, it is the probability of the election being in a certain spot. In terms of momentum, we just are using non-rotational momentum relative to the mass of the electron and its velocity.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”