Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

emaad_3H

Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation

Postby emaad_3H » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Can someone explain why there's an inverse relationship between the certainty of momentum and position for electrons?

Aiden Metzner 2C

Re: Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation

Postby Aiden Metzner 2C » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:20 pm

There is an inverse relationship because h/4 pi is a constant. So since uncertainty in momentum and uncertainty in position multiply to be greater than that number, then as one gets bigger the other one will get smaller.

Asia Yamada 2B

Postby Asia Yamada 2B » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Heisenberg’s Indeterminacy Equation is Δx • Δp ≥ h/4pi. Δx and Δp are inversely related because they are on the same side of the equation and h/4pi needs to stay constant. For example, if uncertainty in position increases, uncertainty in momentum must decrease to keep the right side of the equation constant.

Jordi M 2I

Postby Jordi M 2I » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:17 pm

To explain it conceptually, in order to know how fast the particle (i.e. electron) is moving, we need to have it pass through 2 beams of photons and measure the time it takes. However, the measurement process for speed requires having photons hit the particle which can alter the particle's direction/trajectory. Therefore, the more we know about the speed of the particle, the less you know about where it is going, hence the inverse relation between position and velocity.

aashmi_agrawal_3d

Postby aashmi_agrawal_3d » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:21 pm

There is an inverse relationship between the certainty of position for electrons and momentum for electrons because knowing the speed makes it harder to know the position. In order to know the speed, photons must hit the particle which moves the particle’s position, making it harder to know the position now. The equation also shows that they must be inversely proportional because of the constant h/4 pi.

Kandyce Lance 3E

Postby Kandyce Lance 3E » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:58 pm

emaad_3H wrote:Can someone explain why there's an inverse relationship between the certainty of momentum and position for electrons?

Based on these responses i understand that as the uncertainty for position goes up, uncertainty in momentum will go down and vice versa but additionally is there anyway the level of uncertainty for either can be zero or is that impossible?

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”