Heisenberg Indeterminacy Equation Calculations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alex Nguyen 3I

Heisenberg Indeterminacy Equation Calculations

Postby Alex Nguyen 3I » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:45 pm

The Indeterminacy Equation is . Therefore, if you're given the uncertainty or indeterminacy of position, you would use the full range (+/-) since the position can take on any value within the spread right (i.e. 2x the indeterminacy of position)? Would the same idea be true for velocity or mass? Would you use the range if given it? If you're given the exact velocity or mass, would you just plug these values in? Wouldn't the indeterminacy technically be 0. Lastly if position is known exactly, how would that value be incorporated into the equation? Thanks in advance.

Andrew Ly 1A

Re: Heisenberg Indeterminacy Equation Calculations

Postby Andrew Ly 1A » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:20 pm

The same idea would be true if you were given the indeterminacy of velocity as a "+/-" value. For example, if the problem were to say that the velocity of a marble is known to within 1.0 mm, then the indeterminacy of velocity would be 2 x 1.0 mm (remember to convert to SI unit of m) as shown in Example 1.7 of the sixth edition textbook. I have attached an image of the example referenced below.

Mass does not have an indeterminacy so you shouldn't need to worry about having an uncertainty in mass to plug into the Indeterminacy Equation.

1.PNG
Ex. 1.7 from Chemical Principles The Quest for Insight, Sixth Edition

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”