Module Question 14

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jaden Ward 3J

Module Question 14

Postby Jaden Ward 3J » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 am

14. For large everyday objects does Heisenberg's uncertainty (indeterminacy) principle play any measurable role?

A. Yes, the uncertainties in position, speed, and momentum of a stationary object are noticeable or measurable.

B. Yes, the uncertainties in position, speed, and momentum of a moving object are noticeable or measurable.

C. No, the uncertainties in position, speed, and momentum of a stationary object are not noticeable or measurable.

D. No, the uncertainties in position, speed, and momentum of a moving object are not noticeable or measurable.

I need help on this question, I think the answer should be D since if in the example of a baseball, we would know where its path was and the velocity/momentum that it travelled with since it doesn't act like an electron where the photons in a laser would interact and change paths of the electron, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance

Shanna Yu 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Module Question 14

Postby Shanna Yu 1C » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:30 am

Hi!

I think you're correct, the answer is D.

Eliot Kagan 2G

Re: Module Question 14

Postby Eliot Kagan 2G » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Yes, you are correct. Although every object has a wave-like property, for classical objects like baseballs we often consider them as particle-like objects since the lambda is too small to be noticed or have substantial effects.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”