Using the Equation for Subatomic Particles

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alex Nguyen 3I

Using the Equation for Subatomic Particles

Postby Alex Nguyen 3I » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Logically it would make sense that the uncertainty in the position of a proton would be higher than the uncertainty in the position of an electron because protons have more mass and are confined to the nucleus; whereas, the electron has less mass and can take a position within the atomic radius. However, I tried plugging in arbitrary values for the velocity of both particles and comparing them, but I get that the electron has less uncertainty. Can anyone demonstrate using the equation to demonstrate the idea above?

Shelby Yee 1J

Re: Using the Equation for Subatomic Particles

Postby Shelby Yee 1J » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Actually, the Heisenberg equation demonstrates the opposite. Your supposition that a particle with a larger mass will have a greater certainty of position than a smaller particle traveling at the same velocity is correct. The Heisenberg equation calculates a value of uncertainty, so when dividing h/4pi by a larger number (due to the larger mass of a proton as opposed to an electron, for example) using the equation would give you a smaller number, and thus a "smaller" value of uncertainty.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”