Heisenberg Module

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Tolentino 2B

Heisenberg Module

Postby Samantha Tolentino 2B » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Im reviewing the post module assessments in preparation for the upcoming midterm and came across this question:

Two students are studying together when Bob says I do love you Alice and Alice responds "But how can I be sure?" Would using Heisenberg's uncertainty principle help them determine or resolve their uncertainties?

I know that with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, we can only determine the precise value of either momentum or position at a given point. How would this relate to this question?
Last edited by Samantha Tolentino 2B on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Pham 2B
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Heisenberg Module

Postby John Pham 2B » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:51 pm

It wouldn't have anything to do with this scenario. Like you said, Heisenberg's Indeterminacy Principle determines the uncertainty in position and momentum. There is no association of this principle with the uncertainties listed in this question.

Kailani_Dial_3G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Kailani_Dial_3G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm

love doesn't have a rest mass or a mass in general, so heinsenberg's principle cannot be used because there is no mass.

wavelength= h/ (mass* velocity) or h/p

the heinsenberg indeterminancy principle is based on objects with mass. Hope this helps
Last edited by Kailani_Dial_3G on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vivian Chang 2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vivian Chang 2H » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm

I think that was just a fun question not meant to be taken too seriously. This is kind of related to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle because if they want to resolve their uncertainties, they would either have to know the uncertainty in the momentum of their love, the uncertainty in the position of their love, or the uncertainty in the velocity of their love, which is obviously not possible in this case...

So to be honest, I think this question was just added for kicks and giggles haha

Hope that helps! :)

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”