Limit on delta x?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

HilaGelfer_2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Limit on delta x?

Postby HilaGelfer_2H » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:47 am

Hi,

I hope all is well.

I just watched the audio-visual focus module on the heisenberg indeterminacy equation and noticed that Dr. Lavelle said that the delta v (uncertainty in velocity) must be less than the speed of light. Thus, I was also wondering if there was a limit on the uncertainty in position.

Thanks for all your help beforehand :)

Sid Panda 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Limit on delta x?

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:19 am

HilaGelfer_3I wrote:Hi,

I hope all is well.

I just watched the audio-visual focus module on the heisenberg indeterminacy equation and noticed that Dr. Lavelle said that the delta v (uncertainty in velocity) must be less than the speed of light. Thus, I was also wondering if there was a limit on the uncertainty in position.

Thanks for all your help beforehand :)

Yes, there would be a limit on delta x, but it depends on the mass of the particle you are talking about because the Heisenberg indeterminacy equation also accounts for mass. If the mass of whatever you are measuring is really big, then the indeterminacy in position must be extremely small to get a delta v that is faster than the speed of light. The smaller you get, the bigger your indeterminacy in position can get till it makes your delta v faster than the speed of light.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”