Sapling hw #19

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jazlyn Romero 1I

Sapling hw #19

Postby Jazlyn Romero 1I » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:10 pm

What is the minimum uncertainty in an electron's velocity (Δvmin) if the position is known within 11 Å.

What is the minimum uncertainty in a helium atom's velocity (Δvmin) if the position is known within 1.4 Å.

Hi! I came across this question on sapling but I am unsure on how to approach it. I was thinking that in order to find the uncertainty in velocity, it will have to be using p=mv, but I am not sure what to do with the angstroms, or what to convert them into. I am also not sure what mass I would be using. Can someone help better explain what to do? Thanks!

Mohamed Mido

Re: Sapling hw #19

Postby Mohamed Mido » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:19 pm

An Ångstrom is 1x10^-10 meters. Electron mass is 9.11x10^-31 kg. A helium atom's mass is 1 He atom x 1 mol He/6.022x10^23 atoms x 4.00g He/1 mol He = 6.64x10^-27 kg. You will have to use ∆v≥h/(4π)(m)(∆x), with 11 Å being ∆x, and the masses of each particle/atom respectively as m.
∆p can be substituted with m∆v btw

Brianne Conway 1D

Postby Brianne Conway 1D » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 pm

Like Mohamed said, for questions like this that ask for the minimum uncertainty of something (whether it be position or velocity), you just need to know how to rearrange the ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π equation to solve for what you need. For questions that ask about an electron, a proton, or a neutron, the mass is given on our constants and equations sheet or it might be given in the question (pay attention to units though, you need it to be in kg since planck's constant uses kg). And also like Mohamed said, for questions that ask about individual atoms, make sure to calculate the mass of a single atom instead of using the molar mass given on the periodic table (like I did). Some questions might also ask about a hydrogen molecule (as an example) or something, in which case you'd have to multiply the mass of a single hydrogen atom by 2 to get the mass of an H2 molecule. Basically, just read the questions very carefully.

jessicaosuna_1F

Postby jessicaosuna_1F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm doing this question too and U moved the equation around right, but I keep getting the answer wrong. Can somebody walk through it step by step?

Diana Aguilar 3H

Postby Diana Aguilar 3H » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm

I was also having a hard time with this problem, but your explanantions helped me a lot on how to go at solving it. Thank you so much!

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”