Why do we need this?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samanthaywu

Why do we need this?

Postby samanthaywu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Why do we need to know the minimum uncertainty in position or velocity? Wouldn't it be more important to know the maximum?

Emily Ding 1J
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Why do we need this?

Postby Emily Ding 1J » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:51 pm

I think one important application of the uncertainty principle was to prove that the atom must be larger than originally thought and that there must be a physical limit to the minimum size of atoms based on physical parameters (because the range of velocity was greater than the speed of light). I'm not sure about other applications but I think the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is also just an important fundamental idea that there must be a limit to the accuracy in which both momentum and position can be known simultaneously, which I guess was important in the development of quantum theory.

TrishaP_3E

Postby TrishaP_3E » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:56 pm

I think also if you look at the equation, the uncertainties in velocity and momentum when multiplied are greater than or equal to h/4pi, so when you solve for one of the two values, you are finding the minimum. This makes sense conceptually, because the smaller the uncertainty, the more accurate your calculations are, and you want to be giving the most accurate value you possibly can come up with.

Postby 505612629 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:02 pm

I think it is because of the concept that they are not independent variables and grants a realistic limit based on the known behavior of an electron and its position.

Madison Wong 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Madison Wong 3H » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:16 pm

I think the heisenberg uncertainty principle reinforces the idea that the measurement process influences the outcome. With the example that Lavelle gave of the measurement of an electron passing through motion detectors, it shows that photons scattered from an electron within measurement with affect the electron's momentum and position.

CesarLec1

Postby CesarLec1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:59 pm

It is important to know because it tells us that an e- needs space in order for it to exist. It also calls into question how we cannot definitely know where the electron is and know how fast it is going at the same time. It also shows how photon and electron interaction can greatly change the outcome of any experiment.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”