When to use heisenberg indeterminacy?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mekenna Faulkner

When to use heisenberg indeterminacy?

Postby Mekenna Faulkner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:09 pm

I understand the concept of heisenberg indeterminacy being used to find essentially the range in which the object this, but when exactly do you use this, aside from when you are told to use it?

Hanyi Jia 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: When to use heisenberg indeterminacy?

Postby Hanyi Jia 3B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:18 pm

Heisenberg's indeterminacy basically talks about how there is only a limited amount of preciseness for a particles' momentum and position at the same time.
So commonly you are provided a measurement of mass/velocity/distance that has an uncertainty followed, and the questions ask about what is the minimum uncertainty in the other factor of this equation. I feel it should be easy to realize when to use it because of the idea of maxima and inequation.
Remember that the uncertainty is the value being +/- times 2.

Carlie_Dorostkar_1A

Postby Carlie_Dorostkar_1A » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:24 pm

How was the uncertainty range of +/- times 2 determined? Is that the standard for all calculations? The more precise position is the less accurate momentum can be measured and vice versa. If one is very precise or they are equally precise does that affect the range that was stated previously?

Caitlin Beale 3E

Postby Caitlin Beale 3E » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:54 pm

From my understanding of this topic, Heisenberg's indeterminacy equation is used as a form of experimental error to explain different outcomes of percent yield for example.

Bailey Wallace 3A

Postby Bailey Wallace 3A » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:13 pm

Carlie_Dorostkar_2F wrote:How was the uncertainty range of +/- times 2 determined? Is that the standard for all calculations? The more precise position is the less accurate momentum can be measured and vice versa. If one is very precise or they are equally precise does that affect the range that was stated previously?

I am also wondering how they determine the range?

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”