Heisenberg's Uncertainty Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sofia Cerpa 2E

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Equation

Postby Sofia Cerpa 2E » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:38 pm

what determines the indeterminacy of momentum and position? and in the equation, why is h over 4pi?

Desiree Eshraghi 3A

Re: Heisenberg's Uncertainty Equation

Postby Desiree Eshraghi 3A » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:43 pm

To answer your first question, momentum and position kinda work against each other. The more accurate you are in finding one, the less you are in finding the other.

Ethan Mai 1D

Postby Ethan Mai 1D » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:47 pm

The indeterminacy of momentum is affected by the indeterminacy of its components. This can either be the indeterminacy of velocity multiplied by mass, or the indeterminacy of mass multiplied by velocity (usually velocity is the factor that holds indeterminacy). The indeterminacy of position is based on the range of values that the position can be. For example, a particle that is +/- 5 meters from point A has an indeterminacy of 10 meters. Usually, they will give you the values for indeterminacy in an equation. As for the second question, I do not know, but I hope this helps!

Joshua Lee 3C

Postby Joshua Lee 3C » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:58 pm

The indeterminacy of momentum has to do with the uncertainty of the speed and mass of the particle. The more accurate you get measuring momentum, the less accurate you will get when measuring position and vice versa. As for your second question, I believe that the value h/4pi is a constant that was found using Schrodinger's equation and was then confirmed experimentally.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”