Energy levels

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicola Higgins 14B

Energy levels

Postby Nicola Higgins 14B » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:44 pm

Lavelle went over this concept in the Atomic Spectra lecture but I'm not sure I got a full understanding. I know that n1 is the UV region, shown by the Lyman Series, and n2 is the visible region, shown by the Balmer Series, and n3 is the infrared region. But which series shows us that n3 is the infrared region? And which region of light/energy is n4?

tashyavakil 2K

Re: Energy levels

Postby tashyavakil 2K » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:48 pm

I believe in terms of what you need to know for the class it's only Balmer and Lyman. Essentially, if you're given a problem where n=1 you can assume it's UV but if you're given a problem where n=3 or more, you aren't going to be required to know what series that is. For 14A or for at least the midterm, it's just the two series you have to know.

Molly McAndrew 1 1H

Postby Molly McAndrew 1 1H » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Balmer and Lyman Series are the only names Dr. Lavelle gave during the lectures. I think the more important concept is knowing that every energy level (n) corresponds with a different region on the Electromagnetic Spectrum.

Mario Prado 1K

Postby Mario Prado 1K » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:01 pm

Hello,

I think we only have to worry about the Balmer and Lyman Series for now. Which means if we're talking about n=1 then you have to know that's the UV region and Lyman series, and if they mention n=2 then we're talking about the Lyman series and visible region. Now if they mention n=3 then you don't have to worry about what series it is.

Hope this helps

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”