S, P, D, and F Orbitals  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew Uesugi 3I

S, P, D, and F Orbitals

Postby Andrew Uesugi 3I » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:28 am

I'm a bit confused with the whole S, P, D, and F orbitlals.

But they're basically spaces, correct? And each space has a certain number of electrons. I don't know the rest of the details, but can anybody explain it to me in simple detail so I can build it up from there? Thanks.

From,

Andrew

Nerissa_Low_2F

Re: S, P, D, and F Orbitals  [ENDORSED]

Postby Nerissa_Low_2F » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:05 pm

Basically, these orbitals are the wavefunctions of electrons within an atom, so they are mathematical expressions. When we take the square of the wavefunction, we obtain the probability of finding an electron within an area. The reason they are pictured as "spaces" is because people typically draw the boundary conditions of an orbital, which encloses most of the area that an electron could be in. In reality, orbitals are more cloudlike than smooth. Each orbital can only have a certain number of electrons, but the orbital itself represents the most likely areas that an electron could be in. Hope this helps!

Edgar Khachatryan 3G

Re: S, P, D, and F Orbitals

Postby Edgar Khachatryan 3G » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:45 pm

An orbital is a mathematical representation of where an electron is likely to be found. Each orbital can hold up to two electrons with opposite spins. These orbitals are found in subshells(s,p,d,f) and the subshells are found in different energy levels(n).

Tyler_Honrada_1L

Postby Tyler_Honrada_1L » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:21 am

I also have a question pertaining to electron configuration. Sometimes the 4s orbital is taken out before the 3d when writing the electron config for ions. Is this always true that the s orbital will always be taken out first?

Tara 1F

Postby Tara 1F » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I am also confused on the s and d orbital format when writing the electron configuration. Does anyone recommend a good example from the book or elsewhere that helps explain it?

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”