Graphs on page 44 of the textbook

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Annah Khan 1B

Graphs on page 44 of the textbook

Postby Annah Khan 1B » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:15 pm

I looked over the graphs on page 44 of the textbook (in chapter 2). I am not quite understanding what the graphs represent and how they are significant to electron orbitals. I attached a photo below (hopefully), and I would appreciate it if someone could explain this more to me. Thank you in advance!
Attachments
IMG_4333.JPG

Dabin Kang 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Graphs on page 44 of the textbook

Postby Dabin Kang 1B » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 pm

This isn't a complete explanation but here's a list of what I have observed from looking at these graphs.

The radial distribution function equals zero when ever the radius is equal to zero, signifying that the probability of finding an electron at the nucleus is zero.
It can be seen that radii of the s and p subshells increase as the number of shells increases.
The absolute maximum point of each function represents the distance at which the electron is most likely to be found.
The 2s and 3s functions have a maximum which lies around the maximum of the 1s curve, which shows that the electrons in the 2s and 3s subshells spend some time near the nucleus and the subshells penetrate into the 1s subshell. The 3s curve also has a maximum near the maximum of the 2s curve, showing that the 3s subshell not only penetrates into the 1s subshell but also into the 2s subshells. The same can be seen with the 2p/3p subshells, which shows that the electrons in the outer subshells are not fully shielded by the inner electrons since they spend some time in the inner subshells.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”