lines in electromagnetic spectrum

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RenuChepuru1L

lines in electromagnetic spectrum

Postby RenuChepuru1L » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm

can someone explain the diagram from class today where lines in the EM Spectrum corresponded to a jump/drop in an energy level, I was confused on how to figure out from what energy level we are coming from or going to simply by a line in the EM Spectrum

miznaakbar
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: lines in electromagnetic spectrum

Postby miznaakbar » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 pm

I was pretty confused about that as well but I found this video that simplified the concept for me, here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rHerkru60E

If the link doesn't work try searching "2.2 The Line Spectrum of Hydrogen [SL IB Chemistry]" on youtube - hope this helps

Sabrina Fardeheb 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sabrina Fardeheb 2B » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:25 am

The lines in the EM spectrum correspond to the Balmer series (visible light) and the Lymann series (UV light). If there is a drop in the energy level within a spectrum, think about the chain of electromagnetic radiation and whether energy/frequency/wavelength are increasing or decreasing.

Katie 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Katie 1E » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Usually in the diagram the lines would be labeled on the left side as n=1, n=2, etc. The number corresponds to the energy level that the electron is in or moving to/from. So, for example, if the electron jumps from the first line to the third line, then it is going from the first to the third energy level. The electron can also move down energy levels.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”