Orbitals, Subshells, and Shells

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

McKenna disc 1C

Orbitals, Subshells, and Shells

Postby McKenna disc 1C » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Could someone explain to me the difference between these three (orbitals, subshells, and shells)? Obviously a subshell is a part of the shell, but then is is the shell a part of the orbital or vice versa? Just confused on the terminology. Thanks in advance! :)

McKenna disc 1C

Re: Orbitals, Subshells, and Shells

Postby McKenna disc 1C » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

And a further question-- what is meant by the subscript x, y, and z (used today in lecture when forming the configuration for O)? Are these related to the subshell?

Payton Schwesinger 1J

Postby Payton Schwesinger 1J » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:24 pm

I think that orbitals are made up of shells, which are made up of subshells. The subscripts used today represent how in the p orbital, there are three sub orbitals, each of which can hold two electrons.

Payton Schwesinger 1J

Postby Payton Schwesinger 1J » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I think that orbitals are made up of shells, which are made up of subshells. The subscripts used today represent how in the p orbital, there are three sub orbitals, each of which can hold two electrons.

Sophia Kim 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sophia Kim 1C » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Shells are the electrons around the nucleus and within the shells are the subshells (s,p,d,f) and within the subshells are orbitals. Also i think the subscripts are for the position of different orbitals in the p subshell!

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”