2.47  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alissa Stanley 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Alissa Stanley 3G » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 pm

Question #47 for Chapter 2:

For each of the following ground-state atoms, predict the type of orbital (1s, 2p, 3d, 4f, etc.) from which an electron will be removed to form the +1 ion: a) Ge; b) Mn; c) Ba; d) Au.

Can someone please explain why the answers are:
a)4p
b)4s
c)6s
d)6s

I figured the answer would be the last orbital that the element is in, but that does not correspond with the answers.

Jade Fosburgh Discussion 2C

Re: 2.47  [ENDORSED]

Postby Jade Fosburgh Discussion 2C » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:33 pm

You have to consider the electron configurations for each of the atoms, and then look at the outer most energy level, which would be where an electron would be removed to form a +1 ion.

For example, Ge = [Ar]3d104s24p2. Therefore, to pluck off an e- to make a +1 ion, you would take it from the 4p orbital.

Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I

Re: 2.47

Postby Elizabeth Bamishaye 2I » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 pm

A way to remember too is that when an electron is being removed because has to form a +1 ion, you have to take 1 electron off the outermost energy level.

For Ba, the electron configuration is ; the outermost energy level happens to be the last orbital but you would need to take the electron off the largest principal number and orbital (largest type of orbital).

An example could be Randon (Rn) with the electron configuration of , the answer would be 6p.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”