Nodes on the Midterm?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maria1E

Nodes on the Midterm?

Postby Maria1E » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Do we need to know anything about nodes for the midterm (i.e. angular nodes, radial nodes)? This topic was briefly mentioned in my discussion section but I wasn't sure if we are going to be tested on it or if it's just for our own knowledge.

Emily Mei 1B

Re: Nodes on the Midterm?

Postby Emily Mei 1B » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Not sure about the types of nodes, but in one of the review sessions I remember one of the TAs saying something about just knowing what the electron density around a node is.

Nicole Jacobs 1C

Postby Nicole Jacobs 1C » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi, my TA told our discussion that we only need to know that S does not have any nodes but P does have a node, which is an area of zero electron density. He said that is all we need to know for this class.

Leah Thomas 2E

Postby Leah Thomas 2E » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 am

All I was told about nodes is that angular nodes equal n-l-1 and radial nodes equal n-l. Is this right and there is more I need to know about them other than there is 0 electron density in that region?

Kyle Alves 3K

Postby Kyle Alves 3K » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm

I think the point of the explanation of nodes was only to show the e- distribution of atoms (e.g. s orbitals have no nodal plane so it has symmetric e- distribution), and that might help in explaining something on the final

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”