understanding orbitals  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

tatianatumbling_1J

understanding orbitals

Postby tatianatumbling_1J » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:19 pm

In lecture Wednesday the Professor talked about the fact that we are using math functions to determine where electrons are, but we don't know the shape of an actual electron. So I'm having a hard time understanding what an orbital is. Is it where the electrons are supposed to be? or a path the electrons travel?

Liliana Rosales 1E

Re: understanding orbitals  [ENDORSED]

Postby Liliana Rosales 1E » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Orbitals show the regions with the highest probability of finding electrons. I don't necessarily think orbitals show an electron's pathway because to my understanding, electrons aren't fixed to a certain position.

SammiOrsini_1B

Re: understanding orbitals

Postby SammiOrsini_1B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:36 pm

So in a p-orbital, when you are referring to the px,py,and pz nodal planes, how would you word the purpose of the planes in regards to the electrons position? would you say that there is a probability of the electron distribution along the px plane?

AnthonyDis1A

Postby AnthonyDis1A » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:28 pm

I think that each plane shows the path with the highest probability of (specifically) the two electrons in that particular orbital.

Jesus A Cuevas - 1E

Postby Jesus A Cuevas - 1E » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm

When it comes down to understanding what an orbital is, we must remember that electrons are not fixed, meaning they are in constant motion. The path of their movement is also not so straightforward, it does not follow a circular pattern as most of us would think, and not so easily described. That is why when we look to describe the movement of electrons we do so by the use probability functions relative to the position of their atoms' nucleus. For example, when we draw the first orbital (1s-orbital), we are stating that about 90% of the time the electron will be found within the boundaries of that 1s-orbital, but even then the boundaries are not so set in stone. So in all, an orbital can be thought of as a descriptor of the relative position of an electron.

Vivian Gonzalez 1A

Postby Vivian Gonzalez 1A » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:28 pm

Electrons aren't fixed to a certain position, but are orbitals? Is an orbital just a reference to a specific region?

JulietOttenberg-1C

Postby JulietOttenberg-1C » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Because electrons move so fast, we can never calculate exactly where one is at a certain moment in time. Because of this, we have created the idea that orbitals are areas where we are most likely to find electrons. So, electrons of a certain energy are likely to be found in the orbital that corresponds to that energy level.

Madeleine Farrington 1B

Postby Madeleine Farrington 1B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 pm

AnthonyDis1A wrote:I think that each plane shows the path with the highest probability of (specifically) the two electrons in that particular orbital.

Does this mean that electrons are confined to one orbital and cannot move between, for example, px, py, pz?

John Miller-1I

Postby John Miller-1I » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Madeleine Farrington 1B wrote:
AnthonyDis1A wrote:I think that each plane shows the path with the highest probability of (specifically) the two electrons in that particular orbital.

Does this mean that electrons are confined to one orbital and cannot move between, for example, px, py, pz?

Based on what we have gone over in lecture, it sounds as if electrons are dynamic and can move between orbitals depending on their energy level

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”