Spin Number (Ms)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ZachMoore1C

Spin Number (Ms)

Postby ZachMoore1C » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 am

How does one calculate the spin quantum number?

Alicia Yu 1A

Re: Spin Number (Ms)

Postby Alicia Yu 1A » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 am

The spin quantum number tells us the spin of the electron and is the fourth quantum number. There can only be two electrons in an orbital (Pauli's exclusion principle) and the values for ms are +1/2 and -1/2.
Since electrons spin on its axis, it has both angular momentum and orbital angular momentum, Ms describes the angular momentum of the electron. The direction of the e- is indicated by (+,-) (arrows up or down).

ZachMoore1C

Postby ZachMoore1C » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 pm

I understand what the spin number is and how it can only hold two values -1/2 and 1/2. I am just curious to know how to tell what the value the electron takes is. Is it only possible to tell through experimentation (the magnetic field experiment discussed in lecture) or is there a way to tell from the other quanta?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:43 pm

ZachMoore1C wrote:I understand what the spin number is and how it can only hold two values -1/2 and 1/2. I am just curious to know how to tell what the value the electron takes is. Is it only possible to tell through experimentation (the magnetic field experiment discussed in lecture) or is there a way to tell from the other quanta?

We won't really be able to know which electron spin in what direction. The only information we know is that the two electrons in the same orbital have different spins. You can think of it as assigning a "name" to those electrons.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”