cation or anion?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nienjou Claire 1E

cation or anion?

Postby Nienjou Claire 1E » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm

How do you know if an element will be a cation or anion if it is the same distance away from 2 different noble gases? Will they provide you with the information?

Adela Henry 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: cation or anion?

Postby Adela Henry 1I » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 pm

They should provide you with that information by giving you the element such as K+ or N^2-
An element with a + is a cation (and thus you take away electrons) and an element with a - is an anion (so you add electrons). So two elements when in the ion form could have the same electron configuration but you should be told if it is for a cation or an anion.
Hope this helps

Luis Avalos 1D

Postby Luis Avalos 1D » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 pm

If it gains electrons, it will be negatively charged which is an anion. If it loses electrons, it will be positively charged which is a cation.

EllenRenskoff-1C

Postby EllenRenskoff-1C » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 pm

For metals, it is more likely that they would lose electrons and become a cation, and for gases, it is more likely that they would gain electrons and become an anion. So I think to answer the original question, it would depend on what type of element is in question to figure out which type of ion it becomes.

Jada Larson 1F

Postby Jada Larson 1F » Sun May 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Elements want the most stable electron configuration possible, so they will lose electrons and be positively charged (cations) or gain electrons and be negatively charged (anions) to become more like the noble gases, which are stable. That is why elements on the left side of the periodic table, like magnesium, become cations (Mg --> Mg2+), and elements towards the right, such as chlorine, become anions (Cl --> Cl1-).

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”