2.25 hw

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jimmy lira-1G

2.25 hw

Postby Jimmy lira-1G » Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm

For 2.29 it gives orbitals and the block of the orbital

for example
4p orbital
It asks how many electrons are available at this orbital?
I got 6 electrons for 4p, but I'm not sure if I did this right can somone explain the correlation of orbitals and blocks to electron availability ?

I used the periodic table is this correct ?

Jimmy Lira-1G

Daniel Cho Section 1H

Re: 2.25 hw

Postby Daniel Cho Section 1H » Wed May 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Congratulations! ^_^
Saying 6 electrons in 4p is correct.

Think of it like orbital notation if you took high school chemistry but usually in the p orbitals, 6 electrons are needed to be filled to the brim with the electron because p has 3 orbital spaces in which the orbital must be filled with 2 electrons going in the opposite direction.

Or an alternative way is to use electron configuration in which we use 1s2 2p6 as a layout to figure out 4p in which all p orbitals must have 6 electrons in order to move on to another orbital level or to be completely satisfied.

I hope this helps. Please correct me if I got some parts of the concept wrong. It is a little bit hard to explain but just know electron configuration is applied to orbital notation.

Yeo Bin Yook 1K

Re: 2.25 hw

Postby Yeo Bin Yook 1K » Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 pm

In order to know how many electrons there are you would have to know the value of l, and ml.

For example in (a) it gives you 4p-orbitals. With "p" you know that l is 1 because 0,1,2,3 corresponds to s,p,d,f respectively. And ml is -1,0,1. There are three subshells because there are three ml values. And so there are two electrons per orbital so 2x3=6.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”