spd orbitals and electron config.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rogelio Bazan 1D

spd orbitals and electron config.

Postby Rogelio Bazan 1D » Mon May 07, 2018 12:35 am

To my understanding, Dr. Lavelle is okay with us using abbreviated electron configurations? but if we have an element whose electron configuration equals that of just another element do we simply leave it as [Ar] or would we have the use the previous element one row above and write the electron config. from there? Will we get points taken off for leaving an electron configuration as simply [Ar]? Thank you-Roger.

Adela Henry 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: spd orbitals and electron config.

Postby Adela Henry 1I » Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 am

If the electron configuration is equal to a noble gas then you should use the one in the row above it and then write out the rest of the electron configuration. I think Dr. Lavelle would prefer this instead of just writing [Ar] because it shows that you understand how to write an electron configuration. As for getting points taken off I am not sure.
Hope this helps

breannasung_1K

Postby breannasung_1K » Mon May 07, 2018 12:11 pm

I am pretty sure you would have to use the element from the previous row and continue with the electron configuration, if you wanted to use the noble gas electron configuration. But if you are unsure, it might be best to just write down the full electron configuration.

Joanna Pham - 2D

Postby Joanna Pham - 2D » Tue May 08, 2018 11:01 am

I think it also depends on the question, so be sure to read the question carefully! I believe if the question asks for the FULL electron configuration, you would need to write out all the subshells. But if the question just asks for the ground state, I believe you could use the noble gas abbreviation then write out the remaining valence e- subshells.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”