Electron configurations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

aisteles1G

Electron configurations

Postby aisteles1G » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 pm

So I understand that for the electron configurations you put the noble gas and then continue but are you just supposed to already know the electron configuration of each noble gas?? How do you know that the noble gas Kr went up to 4p^6 without looking/memorization? I feel like there has to be some way to tell.

Andrewwiner4D

Re: Electron configurations

Postby Andrewwiner4D » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Starting the electron configuration at a noble gas is a shorthand, but in my own experience you become comfortable and memorize the structure. The noble gases are all P^6 so you can just count the rows down on the periodic table to determine. It's pretty simple, but there are some weird moments electrons filling shells or half shells in the D orbital. (I assume we will discuss this in class)

Emily Kennedy 4L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electron configurations

Postby Emily Kennedy 4L » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Noble gases all have full shells therefore you can assume that it will have the maximum number of electrons in its outer shell. Generally this will end with p^6 except for helium in the 1s^2.
Otherwise they will go through the usual sequence depending on which one you are trying to find the electron configuration for:
for example:
Ne:
1s^22s^22p^6

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”