CH 1 1.55 6TH EDITION

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jeremiah Hutauruk

CH 1 1.55 6TH EDITION

Postby Jeremiah Hutauruk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 pm

It says "1.55 Infrared spectroscopy is an important tool for studying vibrations of molecules. Just as an atom can absorb a photon of suitable energy to move an electron from one electronic state to another, a molecule can absorb a photon of electromagnetic radiation in the infrared region to move from one vibrational energy level to another. In infrared spectroscopy, it is common to express energy in terms of /c, with the units cm 1 (read
as reciprocal centimeters). (a) If an absorption occurs in the infrared spectrum at 3600 cm 1, what is the frequency of radiation that corresponds to that absorption? (b) What is the energy, in joules (J), of that absorption? (c) How much energy would be absorbed".

Arshiya
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: CH 1 1.55 6TH EDITION

Postby Arshiya » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm

For part a), I converted 3600 into meters and then multiplied it to the speed of light. The frequency found was 1.1*10^14 Hz.
For part b), I used the equation E=hv, and solved for the E by using Plank's constant and the frequency found in part a.
For part c), I used the energy in part b and multiplied it to Avogadro's number resulting in 43 kJ/mol.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”