Shape of Orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jacqueline Duong 1H

Shape of Orbitals

Postby Jacqueline Duong 1H » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:00 pm

What are the different shapes of each orbital and an easy way to memorize the difference? Will we need to draw them on the test?

Brian Cook

Re: Shape of Orbitals

Postby Brian Cook » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:15 pm

I think we just need to know the basic shapes and understand the concepts. For doing a simple drawing, s is a sphere, p has the two balloons up and down, and d has 4 long balloons going north south east and west. I think you'll only need to know those three, and you can see that as the orbital number L increases, the orbital becomes more complicated.

rachana_korapati3C

Postby rachana_korapati3C » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm

lavelle mentioned that we will not be asked to draw the orbital shapes on our tests

Alexandra Ortega 4D

Postby Alexandra Ortega 4D » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:33 pm

The different shapes of orbitals are s(spherical shape with no nodal planes), p(2 lobes on either side of nucleus with a nodal plane at the nucleus), d(3 have lobes located on XY-YZ-ZX planes, 1 has lobes located on x & y planes, 1 has lobes located along z-axis & donut in XY plane), and f(which are complicated). The s shape is always shaped as a sphere, the p look like dumbbells, and d orbitals look like clovers. I doubt we will need to draw them on the test.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”