pauli exclusion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dakota_Campbell_1C

pauli exclusion

Postby Dakota_Campbell_1C » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:58 pm

What is the explanation behind the Pauli exclusion principle?

Brian Chhoy 4I

Re: pauli exclusion

Postby Brian Chhoy 4I » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:15 am

It basically means that there can only be two electrons in each orbital (state). For example, when drawing an aufbau diagram, in each orbital there are only two electrons, the one that spins up and the one that spins down.

pamcoronel1H

Postby pamcoronel1H » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:23 am

It is basically saying 2 things:

One is that in any orbital, no more than 2 electrons can be held at that orbital.

The second thing is that if there are 2 electrons in the same orbital, they HAVE to have paired spins, i.e. one is spinning in a clockwise direction and the other in a counterclockwise direction. This is usually indicated by up and down arrows as we have seen with the electron configuration examples.

With these two rules, it follows that no 2 electrons can have the same quantum numbers, because they each occupy an orbital that they share with only one another electron, and also have a unique spin.

Aidan Ryan 1B

Postby Aidan Ryan 1B » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:26 am

About naming electrons... How do we label individual e- in d orbital that are the 1st or last when doing e-(y), e-(x), e-(z) as in the p orbital. Does it go v, w, x, y, z or does it work differently?

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”