Valence shell and other electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

I am Sodium Funny

Valence shell and other electrons

Postby I am Sodium Funny » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:24 pm

My question is more of an abstract/conceptual one

What is the relationship between a atom, it's nucleus, and those electrons NOT in the valence shell?
And how does that affect the orbitals, and/or valence electrons?

Abbey Brandt 4E

Re: Valence shell and other electrons

Postby Abbey Brandt 4E » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:00 am

I am not certain what you are asking, but I will do my best with my interpretation of the question! Valence electrons are the electrons in the outer-most orbital that is not completely filled. The nucleus (center) of the atom contains the protons (positively charged) and the neutrons (no charge). The outermost regions of the atom are called electron shells and contain the electrons (negatively charged). Non-valence electrons are the electrons in the inner shell of the atom. These do not participate in chemical reactions, as it takes a lot of energy to move them out. Does that answer your question? Let me know!

Claire Guo 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Claire Guo 1B » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:19 am

If an atom has a higher atomic number, (number of protons) then there will be more attraction of electrons to the nucleus because the nucleus is more positively charged. Therefore, electrons closer to the nucleus will have a greater effective nuclear charge because it is most attracted towards the nucleus.

Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby 705170809 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:00 pm

It also affects ionization energy. Since ionization energy is the energy needed to remove electrons from the atom, if they are in the same period (meaning they have the same # of electron shells) then those elements that have more protons will make it harder for the electron to be removed since the pull on those electron from the protons increases as the number of protons increase. This is why we see a trend in the periodic table that as we go across the period (left to right), ionization energy increases.

Arshia Ramesh 1G

Postby Arshia Ramesh 1G » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:10 pm

The effective nuclear charge correlates to the atomic number so the an atom with a greater pull of electrons to the nucleus will have a higher atomic number.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”