Balmer series, Lyman series?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Claudia Luong 4K

Balmer series, Lyman series?

Postby Claudia Luong 4K » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:44 pm

Some of the problems in Chapter 1 involved knowing concepts such as the Balmer series and the Lyman series, but these were not on the Outline 2 or on the test. Do we need to fully master these concepts for the midterm?

Elias Omar 1G

Re: Balmer series, Lyman series?

Postby Elias Omar 1G » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:48 pm

According to my TA, and I think professor Lavelle as well, all you need to know is that the Balmer series is the series of spectra produced when the electron's final resting place is in the second energy level (n=2), while in the Lyman series the electron's final resting place is the first energy level (n=1). I don't think we'll need to know more than that on the midterm.

Catly Do 2E

Postby Catly Do 2E » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 am

The Balmer and Lyman series are just named for series with a specific final resting energy quanta level (n). Lyman's final resting spot is n=1 whereas Balmer ends at n=2.

Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B

Postby Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 am

I think you only need to to know that both the Lyman and Balmer series are spectral line for H atoms and that Balmer series is the visible region in which the final n [n1] is 2. For Lyman series n1 is 1 and it lies in the ultraviolet region.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”