Page 1 of 1

quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:11 am
by Kyle Thorin
In class Dr. Lavelle said that a wave function that is a solution with quantum numbers n, l, m, is called an orbital. What do the n, l, and m mean exactly and how would I be able to calculate them

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 am
by Deepika Reddy 1A
n represents the principal quantum number which is the shell that the electron is located on.
l is the angular momentum quantum number and it describes the shape of the orbital. It can either be an s orbital, p orbital, d orbital, or f orbital.
m is the magnetic quantum number and it tells you the orientation of the orbital. So, for example, there are three p orbitals. The magnetic quantum number differentiates between these three orbitals by telling us the orientation.
To calculate them, you would just look at the periodic table and look at where the element is located on the periodic table.

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:02 am
by AniP_2D
n is the principal quantum number and it tells you what shell the electron is in
l is the angular momentum quantum number and it describes shape. l=0,1,2,...n-1
Depending on what your l is you can determine whether your electron is in the s, p, d, or f orbital
ml is the magnetic quantum number and it labels different orbitals. ml=l, l-1,...,-l

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:23 am
by Megan_1F
Can someone please explain what Px, Py, Pz are and how they relate to -1,0,1?

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:28 am
by 405335722
Megan_1F wrote:Can someone please explain what Px, Py, Pz are and how they relate to -1,0,1?


Px Py and Pz are the different parts of an orbital that an electron can occupy.

the quantum number "m" refers to the specific electrons within an orbital shell.

they are basically the same thing so -1,0,1 is the quantum way of saying Px, Py, and Pz

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:32 pm
by Jielena_Bragasin2G
To further add to the question, can someone explain n, l, and ml's relationship with one another? Thank you!

Describe subshell

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:42 pm
by aphung1E
Can someone explain what subshells are and how they relate to the orbital?

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:45 pm
by aphung1E
Do n,l, m always follow a certain patter or does it vary?
ex: n=1, l=0, m=0 < will it always follow this pattern?

spin state

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:49 pm
by aphung1E
How do you know if an electron will spin up or spin down? It depends on the values for n,l,m, right?

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:58 pm
by Junxi Feng 3B
n is the principal quantum number, which determines the energy and size of the electrons (also called the shell), and it can be any whole numbers such as 1,2,3....n;
l is the angular momentum quantum number, which describes the shape of the electrons (also called the sub-shell), and it can be whole numbers such as 0,1,2,..., n-1.
m is the magnetic quantum number, which labels different orbitals of a sub-shell and the electrons' orientation, and it can be calculated from m=l, l-1,..., -l.

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:06 pm
by Natalie C 1K
how are orbitals, shells, and subshells related to one another? im not sure i understand

Re: spin state

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:41 pm
by Fdonovan 3D
aphung1G wrote:How do you know if an electron will spin up or spin down? It depends on the values for n,l,m, right?


The direction of the electron's spin can be determined by the spin magnetic number, ms (the s is a subscript but I couldn't figure out how to do that on here). The value of ms can be either +1/2 which means it is spin up or -1/2 which means spin down. We have not learned how to figure out the ms value, so I'm assuming you would just be told it was either + or - 1/2.

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:48 pm
by Sidharth D 1E
Natalie C 1K wrote:how are orbitals, shells, and subshells related to one another? im not sure i understand


Shells are composed of electrons that share the same principal quantum number (n), whereas subshells are composed of electrons that share the same angular momentum quantum number (l). Orbitals are composed of electrons that are in the same energy level but have different spins (up or down).

Re: quantum number n, l, m

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:54 pm
by Kayla Maldonado 1C
Deepika Reddy 1J wrote:n represents the principal quantum number which is the shell that the electron is located on.
l is the angular momentum quantum number and it describes the shape of the orbital. It can either be an s orbital, p orbital, d orbital, or f orbital.
m is the magnetic quantum number and it tells you the orientation of the orbital. So, for example, there are three p orbitals. The magnetic quantum number differentiates between these three orbitals by telling us the orientation.
To calculate them, you would just look at the periodic table and look at where the element is located on the periodic table.

How exactly can we use the location of the element on the periodic table to calculate the l, n, and m?