Tips for the Midterm

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hailey Kim 4G

Tips for the Midterm

Postby Hailey Kim 4G » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Does anyone have any helpful study tips to prepare for the upcoming midterm? What topics should I review?

HannahBui 2K

Re: Tips for the Midterm

Postby HannahBui 2K » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:34 pm

I recommend reviewing the Quantum World and attempting all of the homework problems assigned for that section in the textbook! Other peers have been saying that Chemical Bonding will be covered on the midterm as well, so once we are through covering that material in lecture, it would be a good idea to do all of the homework problems for that section as well, just so you can get a lot of practice in solving questions relating to these topics :)

MTanikella_1K

Postby MTanikella_1K » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:37 pm

The video modules are another great resource for review!

Julianna Laurentano 4G

Postby Julianna Laurentano 4G » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:18 pm

I would definitely star the topics that are a bit confusing and read about them in the textbook in addition to completing the corresponding homework problems for them! I would also review the problems done for practice in discussion section, as those cover the basic concepts. Additionally, the module videos posted on the Chem 14A website are super helpful in clarifying the conceptual aspects of the topics, so I would definitely recommend watching those if you are confused about anything.

AGulati_4A

Postby AGulati_4A » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Try to create a compilation of all the problem sets that have been discussed in class along with the ones in discussions. Try to complete that problem as though it were an exam, and learn all the concepts that you missed on that exam

Jessica Tran_3K

Postby Jessica Tran_3K » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:37 pm

I would review all my notes first and then attempt to do practice problems from each section! Taking note of which sections I found difficult, I'd watch videos for those sections on Youtube and on prof. Lavelle's website and then reattempt the questions I missed.

Abhi Vempati 2H

Postby Abhi Vempati 2H » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Like MTanikella_1C mentioned, the video modules, specifically the post-assessments, are pretty useful because they ask both conceptual questions and questions that require you to apply a formula. Reviewing them once or twice should help!

Qilan Li 4I

Postby Qilan Li 4I » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:31 pm

My TA told us that the best study method would be to do all the homework problems that are assigned and really try to understand the concept behind them. For me, I also like to review my notes, watch the video modules, and go through the checklist on the outlines to make sure I understand everything that is listed.

RobertXu_2J

Postby RobertXu_2J » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Do all the homework questions and make sure you understand the concepts that were mentioned and the relevant equations.

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Hailey Kim 3B wrote:Does anyone have any helpful study tips to prepare for the upcoming midterm? What topics should I review?

Hello,
As previously mentioned above, attempting all the homework problems, doing module assignments, and rereading notes is perfect for studying for the midterm. I would like to add that attending the workshops held by UAs are also a good idea because it gives you even more practice by giving you a chance to use your problem-solving skills for different worksheets and step-up also solidifies understanding of concepts and clears up any confusion because the UAs are thorough in their explanations!

Ashley Kim 3F

Postby Ashley Kim 3F » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Some study tips that I find useful are to first thoroughly understand the conceptual aspects of the topics we cover in class, and then do practice problems to reinforce the application of those concepts. Because the practice problems that we have seen assigned on the homework so far are mostly calculation based, I think the midterm will be similar.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”