More Orbital Understanding

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B

More Orbital Understanding

Postby Rohan Kubba Dis 4B » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:09 pm

I understand that the orbital is a probability field of the highest likelihood of the atoms position, however, is the probability uniform throughout the orbital or is it more likely to be near the nucleus and why?

Dan M -3E

Re: More Orbital Understanding

Postby Dan M -3E » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Not totally sure, but I think that the probability is uniform because of the energy of the electrons going around the orbital, and at that point the pull from the nucleus doesn't make a difference in the location of the electron.

SGonzales_3L

Postby SGonzales_3L » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:25 pm

The probability depends on the shape of the shell itself. Some orbitals have nodal planes or areas where the probability density is equal to 0. This means that there is no possibility of finding an electron in these areas. An s-orbital, however, has a symmetrical electron probability density that is not uniform, but denser near the nucleus. I believe this might be due to the attraction between the positively-charged nucleus and the electron.

Nare Arakelian Dis 3E

Postby Nare Arakelian Dis 3E » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:06 am

For p-orbitals, for example, it is unlikely to be near the nucleus because they have a nodal plane at the nucleus which means there is zero probability of finding an electron there. Due to the fact that p-orbitals, unlike s-orbitals, have angular momentum which pushes the electron away from the nucleus.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”